Third graders took a field trip to the Mount Anthony Veterinary Hospital this week. Pictured here are students looking at the model of a canine jaw. Check out “Class Notes” below for more details and photos.
At the beginning of the week, I sent out a Respiratory Illness Letter to families, in regard to the rise of respiratory illnesses here at school and in the community. We have continued to see an increase in respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19, this week.
These increasing numbers are not isolated to our community. On Tuesday morning, The Bennington Banner ran a front-page article about the rise of COVID-19 cases in Bennington County, as well as nearby Albany and Rensselaer Counties in New York. Winterfest is expected to draw over 1,000 additional people from the greater Albany area this year due to a planned ice hockey tournament at Lake Paran that same weekend.
While the planned Winterfest outdoor events are not as likely to spread respiratory illnesses because they are held outside in the fresh air, we would anticipate at least double the typical number of visitors to our school for this year’s Carnival, which is held indoors.
The larger number of visitors inside of our building would increase the risk of spreading respiratory illnesses among our students, families, faculty, and staff. Given that COVID-19 isolation periods could then have a substantial impact on our ability to staff our classrooms, we would run the risk of a school closure due to staffing issues if we were to experience an outbreak.
Simply put, we are not willing to risk school closure. With careful consideration and much deliberation, we have decided to cancel the Village School’s indoor Winter Carnival.
I understand that this news is disappointing, but please note that North Bennington’s Winterfest will continue as scheduled and should be a lot of fun for the whole family.
Assistant Head of School
The third grade class went on a field trip to the Mount Anthony Veterinary Hospital this week.
Dr. Hudson, the Chief of Staff, gave students a tour of the hospital and demonstrated an exam with the hospital’s resident cat. The students learned about the operating room and the lab, and they had the opportunity to look at a blood sample through a microscope. Lab technician Hope Quigley talked with the students about her daily work and showed students the instruments she uses in the lab. Third grade teacher Ms. Backus said it was a wonderful experience for the students and commented on their curiosity, great questions, as well as the career interests that the field trip sparked for some of her students.
• North Bennington’s annual Winter Festival will take place on Sat., Feb. 4, 2023, including the Lake Paran plunge, local food, music and performances, games for kids, the Weekend Fest Hockey Tournament, and much more! Proceeds will benefit the North Bennington Fire Department. Visit the North Bennington Winter Festival Facebook page for more info: https://www.facebook.com/NoBennWinterFest.
• The North Bennington Graded School District Prudential Committee is seeking a candidate for two vacant seats. Ray Mullineaux, the current Chairman, will stand for re-election for one of the seats. The NBGSD Prudential Committee is responsible for the annual budget and fiscal items, the annual meeting, facility issues pursuant to the lease agreement with the Village School, and residency issues. Residents of North Bennington or Shaftsbury District 1 can be considered for candidacy (as long as they are not SVSU, MAU, or SVUESD employees). Please help spread the word! For questions or to suggest a candidate, please reach out to Ray at email@example.com or to any of the other Committee members: Kim Krall, Kiernan McNamara, and Matthew Patterson.
• The YMCA is offering a February Break Camp from February 20-24 (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.) at the Bennington Sports Center. Join the Y for a fun filled and active week. Indoor and outdoor sports, games, crafts, activities, and swim at the Rec Pool. The cost is $130 for the full week. Sign up at www.bfymca.org/programs or contact 802-442-1053 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Lake Paran’s School Break Camps are perfect for 6-12 year olds to explore and have fun over the vacations! Visit this website for more information and to register: https://lakeparanvt.org/programs-and-camps/
Winter Break Recreation Camp: February 20th-24th | 8:30am-3:30pm
Camp activities will include sledding, nature exploration, learning about hibernation, snowshoeing, making comfort-food soup in our kitchen, and more!
Spring Break Recreation Camp: April 17th-21st | 8:30am-3:30pm
Camp activities will include canoeing, meet and greet baby animals, planting seeds, discovering insects, and more!
• Myers Prouty Children’s Campuses, Inc. (MPCC) is offering February and Spring break camps for kids in First Grade through age 12. Those interested should fill out an enrollment form at the following website: MPCCVT.ORG. For more information, contact Tel: 802-733-0212.
• Chess Program for kids 6-16 years old with Trevor Plizga, Chess Coach, at the Bennington Free Library: Saturdays, January 28, February 11, and February 25th. How the Pieces Move (1-1:30 p.m.) // Check & Checkmate (1:30-2 p.m.) // Experienced Players (2-3 p.m.)
2022-2023 Business Partners in Education
Thank you to the following businesses for their support of the Village School!
RCS Consulting: https://www.rcs.consulting/
Williams Financial LLC: https://williamsfinancial.net/
Bank of Bennington: https://thebankofbennington.com/
D.B. McKenna & Co., Inc.: https://www.dbmckenna.com/
Global-Z International: https://globalz.com/
Adam’s Lock & Security: https://www.adamslockvt.com/
Danielle D. Fogarty, PLC: https://www.ddfplc.com/
Madrus Masonry: email@example.com
Power Guru: https://www.power-guru.com
Powers Market: https://powersmarket.com/
The Studio on Main: https://www.idenabeach.com/
West Oil Company: https://westoilcompany.com/
Bennington Express Car Wash and Repair: https://www.benningtonlubeandwash.com/
Bennington House of Tile and Carpet: https://bennington.abbeycarpet.com/
Bolio Propane Service, LLC: https://www.facebook.com/BolioPropaneServiceLLC/
The Bennington Bookshop: https://www.benningtonbookshop.com/
The Richards Group: https://therichardsgrp.com/