Fifth graders reading with their first grade buddy. A few more photos are posted at the end of this page.
As I am writing this letter, near the end of the school day, I’m appreciating the fact that across the hall from the office, in the first grade classroom, first graders are paired with their fifth grade “reading buddies” for the last learning effort of the day. All of the students are engaged in books together. It’s wonderful to see the Reading Partners program resuming after too long a hiatus during the pandemic. As you can imagine, both groups gain benefits that extend well beyond literacy.
We are on the countdown to the Village School’s 4th Annual Track and Treat! For those who have not participated, Track and Treat is a fun event for kids and families. The Fun Run/Walk is a mile between Church Street and picturesque West Street, and it’s free to participate (costumes are highly encouraged). Pre-registration is appreciated, and you can use the hardcopy form sent home with students or download the registration form on our website. There’s also a 5K race for those who want to go the distance!
Following the races, there will be festive activities like pumpkin painting, face painting, and baked goods. If you want to volunteer to help out with these activities or contribute a baked good (store bought or homemade), please send an email to email@example.com.
Have a good weekend!
• Friday, October 28, will be a half day with dismissal at 11:30 a.m., while faculty and staff have an in-service in the afternoon. Students who would like bagged lunches on Friday can order a deli bagged lunch on Thursday, Oct. 27, with their teachers. The After Care program will be available if students are signed up for next week and/or you can sign your child(ren) up for the half day only. To register for the half-day only, click on this link.•Halloween Parade – Sunday, Oct. 30, at 3 p.m.
• The Vermont Arts Exchange (VAE) invites everyone to the 30th year of the North Bennington Halloween Parade on Sunday, October 30, at 3 p.m. Meet at the VAE (next to the Post Office) at 48 Main St. as the parade meanders down Main St. and returns to Lion’s Park. Bonfire, refreshments by Norshaft Lions Club and live music, PLUS the Halloween costume awards! (Note: this is a walking parade only). Join the fun, get creative, get weird!
• October 31 is the deadline to register for the Junior Instructional Ski Program (JISP) and KAP (Kids Alpine Program). There’s a $50 late fee if you sign up after the deadline. More info and links for signing up are available at this website: https://bromleyoutingclub.com/boc/programs/jisp/. Families applying for scholarship assistance need to apply for the scholarship first and can contact the regional JISP coordinator Heather Bullock at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JISP/KAP will take place on Wednesdays, and all students will be dismissed at 11:30 a.m. for half-days throughout the JISP/KAP season, while faculty and staff have in-service afternoons. During this time, the Berkshire Family YMCA’s After-School Program will offer an option for half-day registration only for $25. For more information and to register for half-day After Care click on this link. Financial assistance may be available through the YMCA and you can click on the following link for more information: https://bfymca.org/financial-assistance.
• Picture Retake Day with Lifetouch will be on Friday, November 4th:
If your student needs to retake their photo, they should bring their photos to school on Friday, November 4th to give directly to the Lifetouch photographer when they get their new photo taken. If your student missed the original picture day, you can place an order at www.mylifetouch.ocm with our school’s Picture Day ID: EVT4F4R26.
• After Care Registration for Session 2 (November 28-December 22) is now open. Click here for more information and the registration link.
2022-2023 Business Partners in Education
Thank you to the following businesses for their support of The Village School:
Williams Financial LLC: https://www.williamsfinancial.net
Bank of Bennington: https://thebankofbennington.com
D.B. McKenna & Co., Inc.: https://www.dbmckenna.com
RCS Consulting: https://www.rcs.consulting
Adam’s Lock & Security: https://www.adamslockvt.com
The Studio on Main: https://www.idenabeach.com
West Oil Company: https://westoilcompany.com
SPONSORS ($250 – $499)
Bennington Express Lube & Car Wash: https://www.benningtonlubeandwash.com
Bennington House of Tile and Carpet: https://bennington.abbeycarpet.com
Bolio Propane Service, LLC: https://www.facebook.com/BolioPropaneServiceLLC