We are excited about tonight’s Game Night, which is taking place in the school gymnasium from 6-8 p.m. Thank you to the fourth grade parents for putting together this fun event for our whole school. All VSNB students, faculty, and staff are invited to bring their families and their favorite board games. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Snacks will be provided, and the event is free.
It was wonderful to see so many family members here for yesterday’s Thanksgiving meal. Many thanks to The Abbey Group team for putting together a delicious feast!
A big round of congratulations to our fourth, fifth, and sixth graders who were selected this week for their roles in Shrek The Musical, Jr. Teachers Carrie Gardner and Carla Boyle-Wight are looking forward to undertaking this theater adventure with them. Mark your calendars for the show dates: April 26 and 27th.
The Bennington Museum will be hosting its annual Family Day on Saturday, December 2nd (all day). Visit their website for more details: https://benningtonmuseum.org/event/2023familyday/. Students from third grade, fourth grade, and fifth grade participated in the museum’s “Vermont Rocks” fundraiser for educational programs by decorating Vermont-shaped boards. Each interpretation is unique and inspiring. Click here for a sneak peek!
Another upcoming event we are looking forward to is the Holiday Bazaar, a favorite tradition for our students, as it gives them a chance to shop for their loved ones while raising money for charity. The sixth graders and their teacher Tony Kasulinous will be overseeing this initiative. We would appreciate your help bringing in gently used items in good condition. Items can be dropped off in the Bazaar Bin, which will be located outside the main office starting on November 27th. More details are below and at this link.
A few final reminders:
- Next Tuesday, November 21st will be a half-day with dismissal at 11:30 a.m. and the Village School will be closed for the Thanksgiving Break from November 22-24th.
- Information about how the Village School communicates weather-related school delays and closings is posted at this link.
Weather-Related School Delays and Closings
The Village School uses a five-pronged approach to notify families about weather-related delays/closings. The Village School does not always follow SVSU delays and closings, so please use one of the methods below to determine if VSNB is closed or delayed. We try to stay open as long as the conditions are safe. If you will be late or don’t feel that you can safely travel, please call 802-442-5955. We will understand and support your decision.
- VSNB Website – We post an update on the school’s website at www.vsnb.org.
- News Outlets – We notify the Vermont and Albany news outlets through their alert system.
- E-mail – We will send an email to parents/guardians whose email addresses are on file with the school.
- Text Messaging – If you have activated SMS text messaging within TeacherEase, you will receive a text message. To activate, text the word “start” to 833-506-1827.
- TeacherEase App – You can download the TeacherEase app and set your preferences within the app to receive notifications.
Holiday Bazaar – Gift Items & Volunteers Needed!
The Holiday Bazaar will take place on Wednesday, December 13 (the snow date will be December 14). This is a favorite school event when students enjoy holiday shopping for loved ones while raising money for charity. This year the sixth graders are organizing the Holiday Bazaar, and they are asking for your help bringing in gently used items in good condition. Items can be dropped off in the Bazaar Bin located outside the main office starting on November 27. Donations of wrapping paper, bows, ribbons, gift bags, shopping bags, gift tags/labels, and small jewelry boxes are needed, too. We would love to have adult volunteers assist with wrapping presents for students. There will be one-hour volunteer shifts from 8 a.m.-12 noon. If you are interested in volunteering, please email Mr. Tony Kasulinous at firstname.lastname@example.org with your availability for one of the shifts.
The Bennington Museum – Vermont Rocks Family Day (Saturday, Dec. 2nd)
Kids under 18 can bring a donation for Bennington County Open Arms and get FREE admission. Otherwise, admission on this day will be $5 all day. There will be a children’s shopping boutique from 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Plus, visit with Santa from 1-3 p.m. There will be craft activities, classroom creations, and a bake sale. Reservations are required. To make your reservation and/or for more details, go to this link: https://benningtonmuseum.org/event/2023familyday/.
McCullough Library – Upcoming Events
- November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The McCullough Library encourages all interested young writers to submit an entry. There are no rules about format or genre: it can be a story, essay, poem, graphic novel/comic panel, or just something crafted in your own words. The first entry sent to email@example.com gets a $20 gift card to local businesses of your choice.
- Friday, Nov. 17: Youth in grades 5-8 are invited to help choose books and programs for the library at the next Youth Advisory Council Meeting at 4:30 p.m. in the Nowak Room. Refreshments will be provided.
JISP and KAP 2023/24 – Register by Nov. 25th
The Junior Instructional Ski Program (JISP) and Kids Alpine Program (KAP) registration is open until November 25, 2023. A late fee of $50.00 will be assessed for each registration after November 25th and registration closes completely on November 30th. Click here for all the information and JISP/KAP registration.
Prevent Child Abuse Vermont
Prevent Child Abuse Vermont is offering support for parents/guardians who would like to learn more about how to support their child’s social and emotional needs, learn more about their child’s development and how to deescalate and help their child with regulating their emotions through positive discipline, connect with other families, decrease isolation, or just add new tools to their parenting toolbox. All programs are offered virtually and FREE of charge. Call 802-498-0607 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or visit this website: https://www.pcavt.org/family-support-programs.
Thank you to the Village School’s 2023-2024 Business Partners in Education:
RCS Consulting: https://www.rcs.consulting/
Bank of Bennington: https://thebankofbennington.com/
D.B. McKenna & Co., Inc.: https://www.dbmckenna.com/
Danielle D. Fogarty, PLC: https://www.ddfplc.com/
Madrus Masonry: email@example.com
The Studio on Main: https://www.idenabeach.com/
West Oil Company: https://westoilcompany.com/
The Bennington Bookshop: https://www.benningtonbookshop.com
Bennington Express Car Wash and Repair: https://www.benningtonlubeandwash.com/
Bennington House of Tile and Carpet: https://bennington.abbeycarpet.com/
Bolio Propane Service, LLC: https://www.facebook.com/BolioPropaneServiceLLC/